The run for tomorrow is ON. See details below.
After consultation with the team, I am going to cut the distance down bit from the proposed 15km. The route marked in purple text below is being axed for the main group (medium group which I will be with). Faster group is still welcome to do it though.
Main (Medium Group) will exit the amphitheatre further NW and head back over to the jeep track. Straight across the jeep track onto a single track which we follow until we re-join the jeep track again at the concrete river crossing. Then it’s jeep track back to Gate 2. Should be 11 / 12km maybe a bit less.
There will be an even shorter option when we reach Nellies Pool.
Weather will be fine and warm (about 18%) with a bracing little south-easter blowing.
Remember to get there early to sign the register.
Geoff let me know if you are coming i.e. if I will have someone to have a beer with afterwards.
See you all tomorrow.
Good morning Trailers
Strict COVID protocols.
- No gathering in a big group at start or end of the run
- All runners to carry a mask or buff
- Practice social distancing
- We will break into small groups as per regulations while we run
- No personal sign in – ensure the leader ticks you in/out. Please carry emergency contact numbers in your bag or on your wrist/shoe
- We will monitor the groups on a weekly basis for size
- VOB reserves the right to stop TMT if the COVID infections increase again in the Western Cape
- If you have any symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms, please stay at home
- If you are not comfortable with group running yet, you can use the maps to enjoy the routes in your own time
This week we will be taking a spin around Silvermine East, tagging a few peaks along the way. In my view, this is one of the most underrated pieces of trail in the mountain chain.
START TIME AND PLACE
Because the gate to Silvermine East (Gate 2) is only scheduled to open at 08h00, we will actually start just inside Gate 1 (Silvermine West – the side where the dame is) and then run across Ou Kaapseweg and into Silvermine East.
Please aim to be at the gates of Silvermine West at 07h00. Bring your valid Wild Card or Green Card for free entry. Failing that it will cost you R35 per person (with SA ID) to enter at the gate. Park in the car park immediately on the left just after you have entered the gate. We will aim to start as close to 07h15 as possible.
Please note that cell phone signal is very bad at Silvermine gates so don’t rely on being able to tell us you’re running late.
Across Ou Kaapseweg, enter Gate 2 and take the first path left and start the first climb for the day in the ravine to the left of Wolfkop. Keep bearing left as you climb and then stop for a breather at Fat Lady’s Cave near the top of Higher Steenberg Peak. We keep left and hug the outside of the ridge line and descend onto the Silvermine Plateau near the antennae. Then we head across to a small climb on the Muizenberg Peak ridge and tag the beacon. We then drop straight down to the top of Farmer Peck’s Valley and head straight across and first left towards St James Peak. Then a trot past Muizenberg Cave and down to the jeep track near Nellie’s Pool. Right on the jeep track and first path left. This brings us to the jeep track again which we cross and start a cheeky little climb up towards Kalk Bay Peak and Tartarus Cave. We dip through the top of the Spes Bona valley and proceed to the Amphitheatre. We exit the Amphitheatre towards Cave Peak and then descend Dooiemanspad and take the final slow gentle climb back to Gate 2. Cross Oukaapseweg and back to the cars.
DISTANCE AND RUNNING TIME
I am notoriously bad at gauging distance. It could be as much as 15km BUT this is not a particularly difficult route AND I can arrange shortcuts for those who want something a bit shorter.
Distance being reduced to 11km ish
WHAT TO BRING
- Water. Please try and bring more than a litre as there is little shade on this part of the mountain. A hydration pack is an extremely good idea.
- Warm top. There can be a cold breeze across Silvermine, even in summer. Windproof or waterproof if it’s raining.
- Whistle. Invaluable if you get separated from the herd. Much better than shouting.
- ICE contact details. Please have your personal details and an In Case of Emergency contact details with you.
- Cape and sun block. There is little shade on this run.
- Camera. You are encouraged to take photos and post them on social media.
- Wild Card, Green Card or R35 + SA ID.
- Head torch if you want to have a look inside Muizenberg Cave and/or Tartarus Cave.
Look forward to seeing you there on Saturday.
Tim Bellairs - 0823210299
K-Way VOB's Medium Distance
Trail Running Group
Warning: Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running. It takes place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.
Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed. To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.
By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that: 1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety. 2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and 3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.
Nedbank disclaimer and confidentiality notice:
This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email or all or some of the information contained therein, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this email is neither an offer or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, nor is it an official confirmation of any transaction or an official statement of Nedbank. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank. Nedbank Ltd Reg No 1951/000009/06.
The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary. [http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm]
If you do not want to click on a link, please type the relevant address in your browser